Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Eu nu stiu ( I don't know... be impressed)

Hey all,
Suz, Alex and I ventured into the city for some quality internet time and, of course, a Coke Light. On Sunday we had a Mexican food night and it was unbelievable, Zio def. did her ancestor's proud, lol. And for the entire night Martin's host father called her the Mexicanca and gushed about what a great wife she would make. The next night Valentina made the greatest dinner ever and I'm not sure if it was because I was going on about how great Mex night had been (Valentina's was the Moldovan version of black beans and rice, mixed with carrots and cabbage, and I added some hot sauce that nearly made Sandu throw up). Valnetina really likes things spicy but the rest of the family thinks it's disgusting and Bunica Vera likes to laugh at me.

Laughing at me seems to be a common theme here. On the routiera ride here, the man asked me-literaly- 10 times if I wanted a Moldovan boyfriend and then tried to introduce me to his son. But I gotta say, the man wasn't bad looking... a 25 yr old version wouldn't be too bad.

School is school. We have a big test at the end of August and if we don't get a certain level then we don't get sworn in. There was actually a guy who did so poorly that they sent him to another program where they speak english?!?! Nadia, our teacher, has started laughing at me- see, common theme!- because my accent is just so horrible. But most people know what i'm saying and I can understand them. Although people here talk just as fast as they do in Philly, either way Dedo would be upset!

Valentina gave me Oscar- Oscar Winston III- to take with me to my village. I don't think Nicholae was too happy, but either way I want him. He was just born when I moved into their house and my host grandmother in the village said it was ok. I hope in 2 yrs he'll get along with Bella?! The dogs here are generally very cute but have bark like nobody's business, lol. Bartsik (the name of every other dog here) still doesn't like me, despite the fact that I've been slipping him scraps!!!

We've started planning our christmas vaca, so if anyone out there wants to meet in Praha, you'll have a place to stay. That's all the news that's fit to print.

xoxo

2 comments:

deleted said...

who or what is Oscar Winston III?

Unknown said...

I dont know all the people you are talking about, Im lost in your Blog, could you introduce all the people while you talk about them? So, I miss you lots and so does Dan. Im happy that people laugh at you there. I mean we all laughed at/with you here and laughter is good for the heart. SO...it is almost like you are making people more healthy, making a difference already good job! xxxxx